As part of the 2017 Summer Learning Challenge as well as my own efforts to become a better digital leader, and prepare for helping my students next school year become better digital leaders, I’m spending time reading about digital literacies, citizenship and leadership. Jennifer Casa-Todd’s book SocialLeadia references, at several points, Doug Belshaw. I’m working on reading through his white paper on digital literacies, but I found his Tedx Talk.
Here are my take-aways from this Ted Talk in both a Sketchnote and in list format:
- Digital Literacy (DL) is contextually dependent.
- We need to think about digital literacy as progressive rather than linear and sequential.
- Digital Literacies are complex and multifaceted rather than singular (Digital Literacy)
- DLs are social in nature.
- Teach DLs through tapping into student passion and interest.
- DLs are best taught through remixing of media.